Nana Agyei Baffour Awuah, the lawyer representing Charles Cromwell Nanabanyin Onuawonto Bissue, has criticized the host of News File on Joy TV, Sampson Lardy Anyenini.
The development comes hours after it was revealed that the Host had misrepresented the submissions of Nana Agyei Baffour Awuah’s interview with the Head of the Political Desk at JoyFM/TV, Evans Mensah.
He accused the Lawyer cum Host of denying him the right of rebuttal when he contacted the show’s producers to correct the misrepresentation being presented by the host and his panellists while the show was airing.
In a circular posted on Facebook, Lawyer Baffour Awuah expressed his disappointment and described the conduct as unfortunate. He believed it was an attempt to portray him in a negative light among the conscientious citizens of Ghana.
Read Nana Agyei Baffour Awuah’s post…..
Samson Lardy Ayenini, it is rather unfortunate that you misrepresented what I said in my interview with Evans Mensah on Top Story a couple of days ago and made it an issue for discussion on Newsfile today, 10th June 2023. By virtue of where you sit as a Presenter with the Multimedia Group which gives you access to the recording of the said interview, you ought to have known that I never said that my client would not respect the order of the Court as you claimed on air.
If you had been minded to listen to the recording carefully, the following facts would have been clear to you:
- I was asked whether I knew that the OSP had procured an arrest warrant for my client, Charles Bissue.
- My response was that even though I had heard of it in the media, I was yet to see the said warrant and so could not confirm the same.3
- Clearly, therefore, the discussion was on an arrest warrant which I had not sighted nor my client being served with.
- Consequently, when I was asked the specific question by Evans Mensah whether my client would turn himself in, I responded in the negative because my client had no basis to turn himself in when he had not been served with the purported arrest warrant.
- My client cannot turn himself in merely because of a media report of a supposed arrest warrant.
6) In any event, as Lawyers, we know that an arrest warrant is executed and nobody turns himself in merely on the basis of media reports that an arrest warrant has been procured against them.
7) In the circumstance of the foregoing, by no stretch of the imagination can this, therefore, be taken to mean that I said that my client would not respect the order of the court. You clearly misrepresented me because I never said so.
8) In mentioning my name and making it an issue for discussion on Newsfile this morning, the least you could have done was grant me an opportunity to clear the obvious misrepresentation on air when I reached out to you and your producers. You however declined my request and rather asked that I send a text message.
9) I take strong exception to your conduct on Newsfile this morning and I am at a loss as to why you would do that.