The New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) Presidential Elections Committee has issued guidelines for the upcoming Special Electoral College Elections, set to determine the party’s presidential candidate for the 2024 general elections. These guidelines were formulated after extensive consultations with various stakeholders, including the Presidential Aspirants.
The NPP expresses its appreciation to all those involved for their cooperation as the party strives to conduct an equitable and transparent process for selecting the candidate who will represent them in the 2024 elections.
Outlined in the release, the guidelines address essential aspects of the electoral process. Some of the mutually agreed decisions undertaken by the Presidential Aspirants include:
1. No Appointment of Active Government Officials or Delegates as Agents: All Presidential Aspirants have agreed not to appoint active government officials or any delegate listed to vote in the elections as agents. This restriction applies to various positions, such as MMDCEs (Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Chief Executives), Ministers, CEOs of state-owned enterprises, Regional Executives, and Constituency Executives.
2. Restriction of Phones at Ballot Booths: The Electoral Commission will enforce and adhere to the restriction of delegates from taking their phones to the ballot booth. This measure aims to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of the voting process.
3. Use of Complex Serial Numbers: The Electoral Commission will implement complex serial numbers on ballots to prevent ballots from being traced back to specific voters. This measure seeks to enhance the secrecy of the voting process.
4. Denial of Access to Influencers and “Machomen”: The Electoral Commission will deny access to voting centres for influencers and “Machomen” (strongmen) to prevent undue influence on the voting delegates.
5. Walk-in Standard Practice: The Electoral Commission will administer only the Walk-in standard practice. Presiding officers at voting centres will not call out the names of delegates in the queue to vote, ensuring a fair and unbiased voting process.
The NPP aims to conduct a free and fair electoral process, reflecting the principles of democracy and transparency. By adhering to these guidelines and the agreed-upon decisions, the party seeks to ensure that the Special Electoral College Elections proceed smoothly and that the selected presidential candidate truly represents the will of the party members.
The NPP encourages all stakeholders to participate actively in the electoral process and adhere to the guidelines. With these measures in place, the party anticipates a successful and credible selection of its presidential candidate for the 2024 general elections.