In a powerful display of opposition, National Democratic Congress (NDC) Youth, under the leadership of National Youth Organizer George Opare Addo, has launched an unyielding campaign against the contentious 10% tax on bet winnings. Introduced by the Akufo-Addo administration, this policy has ignited fervent criticism for its impact on the nation’s youth and their hard-earned finances.
Addo declared, “We reject this misguided tax burden. Our earnings should not serve as a shield for the mismanagement and corruption rampant in this administration. It is time to reclaim our rights and demand accountability.”
The youth-led movement has detailed a multitude of grievances fueling their staunch opposition to the tax:
- Misused Funds: Protesters claim that government officials have siphoned off public funds, leaving young individuals to compensate for these losses.
- Bank of Ghana Scandal: The movement accuses the government of allowing massive corruption within the Bank of Ghana, led by Dr Ernest Addison.
- Unfulfilled Vision: President Akufo-Addo’s administration faces censure for its unmet promises and disregard for the needs of the nation’s youth.
- Credibility Concerns: Vice-President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia’s credibility has eroded, as his statements are perceived as empty assurances.
- Arrogance and Embezzlement: Government appointees stand accused of embezzling public funds and displaying an arrogant attitude that exacerbates the financial struggles of the youth.
The movement’s plan is outlined as follows:
- Peaceful Demonstrations: Peaceful picketing and the occupation of government offices are intended to highlight their cause.
- 2. Nationwide Uprising: The movement envisions a campaign of both conventional and unconventional lawful protests spanning the nation.
- Direct Confrontations: The youth are encouraged to confront government officials and demand an end to corruption and insensitivity.
- Occupying Seats of Power: Calls echo to occupy crucial government institutions, including Parliament, to exert pressure.
George Opare Addo passionately entreats young individuals across Ghana to join this struggle. He announces forthcoming instructions to be communicated through the NDC’s constituency youth wing departments, urging the public to connect with their officers for coordinated efforts.